Ensaimada de Mallorca @ The Spanish Pastry #WBD 西班牙酥皮特点


World Bread Day 2016 (October 16)


Happy World Bread Day, everyone ! I have actually missed out a couple of events for the past few years on this special day. I am so glad I finally be able to make it up this year. Hopefully, my post will link up successfully.  This year I have chosen this ensaimada @ Spanish pastry for my 2016 WBD entry. I actually discovered this beautiful pastry bread on Australia Gourmet Traveller. It was love at first sight ! haha...... As a bread lover, not a chance I will missed out something gorgeous like this. Thank you Zorra for having this 2016 WBD event. I am blessed to be a part of this. Ensaimada is a very simple sweet bread which normally comes with sugar topping and with soft & fluffy buttery texture. Its quite popular among the European countries.

Ensaimada has a very unique laminating process which gives the bread light & fluffy texture.

Ingredients for dough :
300gm  all purpose flour
200gm  bread flour/high protein flour
2 tspn  yeast
180gm  sugar
200ml   warm milk
2 eggs & 1 egg yolk, not beaten
1 tspn  vanilla essence
a pinch of salt

*200gm+100gm  butter, softened at room temperature
*1 cup  vanilla sugar

Method :
(1) combine flour, sugar, yeast & salt into a mixing bowl, mixed well.
(2) next, stir in egg, milk and vanilla to form a soft dough then set aside to rest for an hour or till double in size. Keep dough covered.
(3) when ready, punch dough to release excess air and then knead till smooth.
(4) place smooth dough to slightly flour working table then roll out flat to a 50cm square, dusting with extra flour as you go. Spread 200gm soft butter over flat dough, then roll into a cylinder shape.

(5) re-roll dough to a rough 15x65cm rectangle shape, again brush soft butter over dough then roll into a narrow cylinder (as picture shown above).

(6)  now, loosely coil cylinder dough on a large baking tray lined with greased baking paper then set aside to rest for an hour. However, the temperature here is quite warm, so I had mine rest for only 20 minutes.

(7) finally, sprinkle vanilla sugar over dough then bake at preheated oven 180'C for about 20-25 minutes or till really brown & crispy.

I've been keeping this vanilla sugar for years and it still looking good though. haha....

 
The look of my freshly baked bread, straight from the oven of My Little Space !

OMG, this bread is really really yummy ! The texture is amazingly soft & fluffy..... the buttery aroma is simply irresistible. My kids are asking for more. Thanks to Gourmet Traveller for sharing such wonderful recipe.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...